Scoring: Add up your answers to all the questions to earn a total score. The higher the score, the more likely it is that you may place a higher need for perfectionism, control, or orderliness.
This quiz is not intended to be a diagnostic tool. If you believe you may suffer from symptoms of Olfactory Reference Syndrome please seek an evaluation by a trained mental health professional.
Rate the following questions according to the scale below:
1 (not at all) ----- 2 ----- 3 (somewhat) ----- 4 ----- 5 (very much)
1. I often worry that I have body odor.
2. I believe that my body odor is noticeable to others.
3. My preoccupation with body odor interferes with my daily activities, such as work and/or going to school.
4. I experience anxiety when I have to be in close contact to others (like standing in line, or sitting on a bus or subway, or sitting at a meeting).
5. I go to great lengths to change the way my body smells.
6. I frequently change my clothes due to the belief that I do not smell good.
7. I frequently take more than one shower a day because I believe my body is giving off a bad odor.
8. I frequently worry that my breath smells.
9. I have to carry gum, mints, and/or mouthwash because I worry or become anxious if I do not have them with me.
10. I frequently ask my family or close friends if I smell.
11. I am very careful about my diet and/or use special supplements to prevent body odor or flatulence.
12. I avoid engaging in activities that will make me sweat, such as going to the beach, exercising, or being out on a hot day.
13. I compare the way I smell to how others smell.
14. I re-apply perfume and/or deodorant more than once a day because I worry about the way I smell.
15. I frequently feel embarrassed or ashamed at the way my body smells.
16. I am depressed because of the way my body smells.
17. I worry that others will reject me for the way my body smells.
18. I have visited medical professionals (such as a dermatologist, gastroenterologist, dentist, proctologist, gynecologist) because of my perceived body odor.
19. I frequently check how I smell, by smelling my clothes, shoes, or myself.
20. I am extra sensitive to certain odors (aside from body odor), such as ammonia, detergents, rotten onions, candle scents, etc.
Copyright © 2019 BioBehavioral Institute - All Rights Reserved.